You are probably familiar with "About Me" webpages now. Your "About Me" webpage on your ePortfolio must be different. It can't be that same ol' boring paragraph about how you go to John Jay College and plan to be a lawyer, forensic scientist, forensic psychologist, or, for The Bold and the Beautiful, Olivia Benson from "Law & Order: SVU." The page should look and feel like a candy store of a multimedia YOU! When in doubt, think about it the way that Sister Nancy talks about in the background music:
A me seh one thing Nancy cyaan understan
one thing Nancy cyaan understan
wha' mek dem a talk 'bout me ambishan
seh, wha' mek dem a talk 'bout me ambishan
'ca me seh some a dem a ax me whey me get it fram
'ca some a dem a ax me whey me get it fram
a true dem nuh know it's fram creation
a true dem nuh know it's-a fram creation
Don't think of yourself as bragging or letting your head get too big. You are just helping people to understand your ambitions and where they come from, just like Sister Nancy is suggesting in these lyrics!
Come to the lab with an "About Me" statement written. Make it interesting. You can even write it as a story if you like. Here are some ideas for things you can talk about:
- What social justice issue(s) are you most passionate about?
- What cultural issue(s) are you most passionate about?
- Are you a painter, skater, graffiti artist, avid reader, dog-lover, cat-lover, AMAZING big brother, pesty lil sister, loving aunt, strict uncle, poet, MC, bboy, bgirl, stepper, singer, person with a bright smile? Tell us the hows and whys of why this thing makes you tick.
- What would a perfect day entail for you?
- What would be your dream job/career and why?
- What special groups, organizations, or clubs (i.e., Adelante) are you part of and why?
- What service projects have you been involved in and why?
- Who/what do you follow on social media and why?
- Where have you lived? Which place was your favorite and why?