I. Three-Question Interview (followed by the Name Game)
- What made you choose this course?
- By the end of the semester, what would you like to say you know and/or can do better?
- Describe an issue related to injustice (race, gender, ability, sexuality, etc) that you have witnessed on campus. It could be something directly related to you, something you saw/heard, or a trend that you noticed. What happened?
II. Partnered Introductions
- Please make sure that you know your partner's pronoun (she, her, hers/ he, him, his/ they, their, them) and the correct pronunciation of their name.
- Interview your partner based on questions 1-3 above. Be sure you add in one more question of your own.
- Feel free to write down your partner’s answers as you will need to remember what they tell you.
III. Name Game
The name game is an activity that we will do for the beginning of the semester. At the start of each class, 4-5 people will have to go around the room and say everyone's name. This activity is meant to form community. This may be the only class you have this semester where you know everyone's names and interact with them significantly. This is something to be taken seriously---hence, we start this course by making sure we know everyone's names!
IV. Overview of the Course Website and Syllabus with Q&A
- Please remember that there is an agenda like this for every class. If you miss a day, look at the agenda. Do not send an email asking what you missed.
- No handwritten work can be accepted. Please bring hardcopies!
IV. Classroom Activity: "Why I Write" by Pearl Cleage
V. Share with Partners and Whole Class Discussion